Sunday, April 26, 2009

Things that make you go hmm.....

Most of the time in my life I can recognize a theme. I've had highway patrol week, Montrose Mousecapades, Domestic Diva weeks, and a whole list of other "themes". You know what I mean? When all things in your life seem to point to one thing?

Well, these last few weeks have so not been that way. In fact they may be the most random weeks of my life. You see, I like to research. Not in a professional, academic, serves any purpose way. Just in a curious about things and want to google them kind of way. Warning: this blog will not teach, motivate, or encourage you in any meaningful way. It's just Sunday night, I'm high on Sudafed, and I feel the need to document my bizzare research subjects.

* Cherokee Indians
*Modesty (those two are in no way related, but I will say the Cherokees were NOT very modest!)
*Cooking Light
*How to make homemade laundry detergent (haven't attempted it yet but I have all the supplies and I am betting that its production will deserve a blog)
*Children's Birthday parties
*Slugs

In case you are wondering about the slugs you can rest assured that there is a story behind that. For those who have just tuned in you are not aware that our house is refuge for misplaced wild animals. Or a prisoner of war camp. You can check that out here and here. Anyway, thanks to the miracle invention Riddex we thought we had rid ourselves of our little friends. For the most part we have. The Riddex plugs into the wall and sends out sound waves that are supposed to send the mice fleeing. Every now and then we'll see one and I figure it must be deaf. Poor thing. Okay, back to the slugs. So, I go in our kitchen the other night and there is this HUGE thing on the floor. I screamed. (That is my role in a situation like this). Josh came running. I said "Is it a mouse with no legs?" Yes, it was that big, and yes I really did ask that. We realized it was a slug and Josh handled disposal. The next night I went into the kitchen and there were 5!!!!!!!!!!! That is when I began my research. Let me share what I learned with you so that you too can be enlightened. For the record, I could have gone the rest of my life without learning these things. :)

1. Slugs like dark places. They only come out when it's dark. Yes, we now leave our kitchen light on all night!
2. Slugs have both boy and girl parts. Not sure why I'm sharing that except that I just want you to be informed and I am sure no one else is blogging on this serious subject. :)
3.If you poor salt on a slug it will start oozing yellow stuff and die. NOTE: Do this outside!!
4. Slugs are attracted to beer.

Okay. Let me just say that these poor slugs have picked the WRONG refuge coming up in the baptist preachers house looking for some beer!! The only thing I can figure is that maybe there are some old juice cups in the playroom and our playroom is in fact the mecca for all slugs. They just can't make it there. And you may think I am cruel for the salt killing. For the record, I just knew that when it started oozing stuff that it was going to turn into a gremlin and start multipyling. It didn't. But, some men from the church have planted a garden in the field behind our house and in addition to their beer they also like to destroy crops. So, they had to go.

I really hope this has been valuable for you. If you need to know anything about indians or laundry detergent just ask! And now I'm curious....what interests you? What have you been researching lately?

3 comments:

Lori said...

Very informational - I appreciate this blog so much. I must say that I never knew ANY of that about slugs:)

My list isn't as interesting as yours, but my latest googles are:

crawfish & lobsters (there's a story there too)
Vacation Bible School
birthday t-shirts
personalized stationary

So, no slugs or Cherokee Indians for me...

Funny post!!

Karen said...

LOL! My recent list includes -

Dancing With the Stars
Vacation rentals in South Dakota
The 5 Browns
Lisa Bergen & the Gifted triology
Alister Crowley (thanks Em)
Vintage Baseball stuff

Kim said...

I'm so glad that someone else random google searches to. My latest have been on Luau birthday Parties, how to make a cake inthe shape of a pig (for said luau birthday party), "Camp Electric"- which I heard on the radio- It's a camp where HUGE Christian stars come and actually work/jam with you on your instrument of choice (but for $160 a day I'll pass), Super duper fat biking jerseys (a special shirt that helps keep bikers cool when they're sweating to death) on a side note you'd need to purchase said shirt in about 3 sizes larger than you are because they're supposed to fit 'snugly'- and by snugly if you're chubby you end up looking like a stuffed sausage...LOL...those have been it for a few days, but we've been on the road!!!