Thursday, August 18, 2011

Meaningful Beauty

A dear friend of mine recently gave me a month's supply of Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty. Have you seen the infomercial for it? I have and it is ridiculous how bad I wanted to try it, but I would never break down and order it. Anyway, my sweet friend did not even know that I was secretly pining for some Meaningful Beauty (although it is a safe bet as I think I need EVERYTHING that every infomercial has to offer) and she gave it to me anyway. Awesome! I LOVE the way it makes my skin feel and I'm hoping it is starting to look different, too. I ask Josh everyday if I am starting to look like Cindy Crawford and he always says, "You're prettier than Cindy Crawford" because he is a sweet, well trained husband and because we both know I could use a 545 day supply of Meaningful Beauty and never look like Cindy Crawford. Oh well.

As I have religiously cleansed, moisturized and deep wrinkle treated my face I've started thinking about beauty. I guess because the name is "Meaningful Beauty". As I rinsed my face last night I began to wonder, 'Is this meaningful?'  I mean really, does my skincare routine bring meaning into the world? Yes, it makes me feel better and I do believe there is something to be said for feeling better about yourself, whether it is your skin or your hair or your wardrobe. I heart a make-over show like nobody's business and I know that it really can make a huge difference in your life when you feel better about your appearance. But still, I don't know that "meaningful" is the word I would choose for skincare. No offense Cindy Crawford.

So, that got me to thinking about what IS meaningful beauty? Is there such a thing?  Wikipedia defines beauty as " a characteristic of a person, animal, place, object, or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning, or satisfaction."  A characteristic is defined by Merriam-Webster as, "A feature or quality belonging typically to a person, place, or thing and serving to identify it."  So, beauty is something that identifies a person that provides pleasure, meaning or satisfaction. I have to say that is very different from the definition I feel like society gives us of beauty. Like tall, skinny, white teeth, shiny hair, tan and whatever else you want to add to the list. I've come to realize that trying to keep up with all of the latest beauty trends can become a full-time job and you need a full-time job to pay for all of the lotions and hair products and tanning beds and newest make-up. I'm as guilty as the next woman of believing that a new lipstick can change my life, or at least plump up my puny, little, non-Angelina Jolie lips. But at the end of the day, does it matter?

Again, I think it is important to take care of yourself and to present yourself in a way that  makes you feel good about yourself. But lately, I've begun to long for a different kind of beauty. When Josh and I stood before our friends and family and said our wedding vows our pastor prayed over us. He said lots of wonderful, spiritual things that I was way too nervous and excited to remember. But one part of his prayer has always stuck with me. He prayed over me, "Lord, give Emily the kind of beauty that never fades." I think those particular words stuck with me 1. Because I'm a girl and addicted to all things beauty related and 2. Because ten years later I would look at myself in the mirror and want more than smooth skin and shiny hair. I want that beauty that never fades.

The truth is, I'm not getting younger. And in our society, youth is beauty. My wrinkles will get worse (unless Cindy Crawford really comes through for me), my skin will grow increasingly saggier, and I'm guessing I can only whiten my teeth so many times before they fall out. But even if I could find the secret product to miraculously make me beautiful on the outside, this longing I have is for that different kind of beauty. The kind that is discussed in 1 Peter 3:3-4, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight."  Some people take this very literally and don't wear jewelry or make-up. I personally don't think that is what this verse means. I think it is saying that the heart God creates in us should be so beautiful that people don't even notice the outward appearance. What would a beautiful heart look like? It would be full of  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Galatians 5:22). It would willingly serve others and put their needs and wants first. It would not complain or dispute. It would rejoice always.(Philippians 2)

Wikipedia goes on to say,
" The classical Greek noun for "beauty" was κάλλος, kallos, and the adjective for "beautiful" was καλός, kalos. The Koine Greek word for beautiful was ὡραῖος, hōraios,[2] an adjective etymologically coming from the word ὥρα, hōra, meaning "hour." In Koine Greek, beauty was thus associated with "being of one's hour."[3]




A ripe fruit (of its time) was considered beautiful, whereas a young woman trying to appear older or an older woman trying to appear younger would not be considered beautiful."
When it described "being of one's hour" I immediately thought of someone who was known for her beauty in the Bible. Her name was Esther, and not only was she known for her beauty, but one of the most well-known verses from the book of Esther says, "Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14. I'm no Bible scholar (I'll leave that up to Josh), so I don't know that when Esther's beauty was described it was referring to her being "a ripe fruit", but I just love the idea of our beauty coming from being in our time. From knowing who we are in Christ and where we are in life. That our beauty comes not from our outward appearance or  adornment, but from being where God would have us to be and fulfilling the purpose He has given us at such a time as this.

It is no easy task in the world we live to redefine our idea of beauty. I won't even let you think for a second that these thoughts have led me to throw out  my hair straightener or my eyeliner. I'm not there yet. I just pray desperately for God to continually work to change my heart and grow in me that "beauty that never fades". What a different world it would be if we all spent more time cultivating that beauty!

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within."

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily! I love reading your blogs. And this particular one really spoke to me. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I believe you truly are beautiful from the inside out...and am sure you will only get better with time!

Michelle Sims

Karen said...

so...when are you writing the book?? You are aweseome! Love this post!

Lori said...

I'm with Karen... this is a wonderful post!! And what a prayer.."beauty that never fades" I may start praying that for myself every day!