Saturday, May 16, 2009

Drumroll please....

Well today was the day. Eli's first birthday party since he was 1. I haven't had a party for him since we've moved to Mississippi because we haven't had any kids his age to invite. But this year we decided to have a party. Despite inviting his whole tball team we still ended up with 5 girls and Eli! One day he will really appreciate that. :) We had a lot of fun decorating and getting ready. Here you see Eli stuffing the pinata. He really is having fun, he just wasn't in a picture mood at this moment. Speaking of pictures, my camera died 2 minutes after our first guest arrived and I didn't get it working again until a couple of hours ago. So, this is all I got!

This is the playroom all decked out with the totally cool solar system. Yes, Sarah is running away. By the time I got my camera to take the picture everyone was running to find something else to do.

Eli also had fun helping daddy blow up the planets. While I was getting ready Josh came and told me that he had just hung the moon. :)
Doesn't Eli look excited? Here is the "kidney cake" as I affectionately call it. I don't know if you can tell, but the "wings" at the bottom looked just like kidneys, especially before I put the candy on because even after using all of the red coloring the icing was still pink. I was the most excited about the twizzlers at the bottom, but being the genius that I am I put it on a red board so you can barely see them!! Poor Eli. People kept telling me that all that mattered was that the cake was made with a mother's love. See what happens when your mama loves ya??? The kids actually really liked it and as much as it looks nothing like it is supposed to, I decided I will enjoy making ugly cakes until my kids catch on and demand I not humiliate them with my incompetence.


This may be my favorite picture of all time!!!


Me and the birthday boy!




7 comments:

Karen said...

I love the pics! Especially the last two with Eil and you & Josh. The cake looked fine. I can't wait to get the whole story. How was homecoming? We had homecoming at Causeyville today and if I may have a confession moment...I HATE church potlucks. (how un-baptist is that?)

Emily :) said...

Personally, I love the eating part. The cooking and toting of the food all over creation and trying to keep it warm during church, I could do without. :)

AliBavuso said...

Beautiful pictures. And as for the cake, I'm jealous that you can make it look like something. Mine barely turn out edible, let alone pretty or decorated.

Emily :) said...

Thanks Ali! I've figured out that with kids you can't go wrong if you just cover it in candy!

Lori said...

Well, I clicked on the picture to make it big and the cake turned out GREAT!! I'm really impressed - you don't give yourself enough credit. Your cake may have had a little more character than the original but it totally looked like a rocket to me. What a "rocking" cake - Eli's mom ROCKS!! Get it?!

BTW, I HATE church potlucks too!

Emily :) said...

Lori, you crack me up! And how sad is it that when you say the cake totally looks like a rocket I take that as the highest compliment?? Ha! The best I can do is hope that it looks somewhat like the intended object. :)

Stephen said...

I see that the chilren have grown a lot. I trust that all is well with you and the whole family. Happy Mother's Day friend.