Saturday, May 23, 2009

Overheard this week...

I must say that this last week had to be the fastest week in the history of my life. After Eli's party we had homecoming across the street at the Methodist church. I cooked a corn casserole and made my first bowl of Pink Delight, a recipe I got from one of our church ladies that is super easy and super delicious. We heard a history lesson on Montrose, specifically the Choctaw Indians who had been living here (you know that was interesting to me since I have recently become fascinated by Indians), the kids were all given disposable cameras during the children's message so they could take pictures to remember this time and place in their life (a cool idea, although they also became great projectile objects for the younger kids to throw and drop on the wooden pews and floor), and heard a message on "Home" a subject I plan to devote an entire blog to one day. After it was over we had an excellent meal and Eli even sat at the other end of the table with some men from the community that we don't even know that well. He said they conversed about the dessert. Two of our church members shared a story with us that has prompted the title of this blog.

Just for some background, if you ever hear me talk about Jerry's on here I am referring to the gas station at the end of the street. They serve awesome hamburgers and also keep me stocked with diet cokes when I realize at 10:00 at night that I need one and my only option is the coke machine outside. (Yes, I really do need to be set free from the Diet Coke.) Anyway, when I say that Jerry's is all there is to Montrose, I am NOT exaggerating. So, our church members started telling us that they happened to drive by Jerry's and there were oodles of cars lined up in the parking lot and on both sides of the highway. Of course this kind of activity in our neck of the woods garners a lot of attention. Turns out, some guy had told people he was going to cross the street buck nekded (Eli's word). Sure enough, he did. And our church members (who luckily, were both men) witnessed this new making event. Is there no shame? Seriously, all I could say was that I have tried to tell them we need a movie theatre, bowling alley or SOMETHING!!!

Sunday night started our revival services and Josh's friend Bobby and his family were coming to eat with us. We had by some miracle managed to keep the house clean after Eli's party. We were really rushed trying to eat before service started, but I had so much fun talking with Bobby's wife. I don't have many opportunities to hang out with other preacher's wives, especially ones close to my age with kids the same age as mine. We also shared a similar sense of humor and that is a big deal to me, because as you can probably tell from my blogs my sense of humor is pretty much my coping mechanism in life!!! I ended up keeping the nursery that night. It was just Kate and Eli and Bobby and Amy's little girl Lydia. She just turned 1 and she seemed so tiny compared to Kate. We hadn't been in the nursery 5 minutes before Kate flipped over one of the plastic chairs and accidentally scratched Lydia's face. Then, Lydia threw her bottle on the hard floor and buted the plastic around the top. I was pretty sure they would never trust me with their child again.

I plan on writing a more serious blog about our revival, but I have to tell you the other excitement of this week. Our garden has produced crops! By "our" garden I mean the one that I have watched grow from the window in my air-conditioned kitchen. :) The farmer (that's what I'll call him) kept telling me he was going to teach me to scracth for taters. If that sounds like a foreign language to you it means pick potatoes. He took me out and showed me how to search for the cracks in the dirt and reach in and get the potatoes. It's like hunting for Easter eggs! He never actually let me do it, he didn't want me to get dirty. :) Sarah just couldn't stand it and had to come with me. That child was meant to live on a farm. She LOVES that kind of stuff. Bless her heart, she was born to two extremely citified people and I can barely keep a plant inside the house alive. Tonight I made squash casserole and soon I will be making potato salad with fresh, new potatoes! Speaking of the farmer, Eli told us yesterday, "The farmer has some teeth in a cup in his car." LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I will end this by telling you that we have eaten more food this past week than any person should ever eat. I've recently had a couple of people ask me how I have lost weight and I had thought about posting a blog about that, but after this last week....let's just say it got ugly. I had really been wanting to order a workout video I had heard so much about called "30 Day Shred". It's by the Biggest Loser trainer Jillian. I have to tell you, she scares me! So, I went with another video called "Dance it Off". So far, Josh and I have watched it and Sarah has done one of the 10 minute segments. I got tired watching it and some of the moves are most definitely NOT appropriate for the preacher's wife. We shall see.

Well, I better go. If you need me and can't find me don't worry. I'll either be scratchin' taters or dancing them off!!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

LOLOLOL!!!! I love it. I now have that Ray Stevens song "The Streak" running through my head. Oddly enough, this is the second time this week I have read a blog about someone streaking. (I know I am all about "themes," but really...streaking???) I must say, the Fidlers lead one interesting life...even in Montrose... :)

Lori said...

So funny!!