Thursday, April 8, 2010

Commercial Break

So, I think I've told you that for 3 years we did not have cable and ever since the digital conversion we had NO TV. It was cool. We each had our designated movies. I personally watched "Runaway Bride" a record 4.5 million times. We now have cable and I was not prepared for what that would mean for our kids.



For one things, Kate does not understand commercials. I mean they just freak her out. She will come running with the remote expecting us to "fix" her show. You have to understand, this child had known NO TV for her entire life. Commercials are a bummer aren't they? Well, I used to think they were, but now I am very easily entertained and there are a few that make me laugh out loud. And that's sad.



Today I got the kids Happy Meals on the way home from Moms Morning Out. (One of the churches here has this program where every Thurs. I get to drop Kate and Eli off to play from 9-12. Today was their first day and they had so much fun! And I got so much done!) The toys were those dragons from that new movie. Eli started telling me all kinds of stuff about it. I couldn't figure out how he knew so much about it since we haven't seen it. Wanna guess? Commercials. Yep.



Sarah is the one who has really cracked me up. She is so my daughter. She nows tells us at least 4 times a day things that we need. Like certain cleaning products or shoes. I knew we were in trouble the other night when she told me, "There's this bumping thing that goes in your hair. (and she demonstrated what it does)We need that." My absolute favorite was the day she came into the room and told me, "There's this place, where if you're having trouble concentrating at school you can go there and they will help you. It's called Sylvan." Oh my word. Can I just tell you there is nothing that will validate your homeschooling abilities like your 7 year old wanting to go to Sylvan. Really, the penny sized confidence I had in my abilities is GONE!!!



I don't know what to say, she gets it honest. If I am totally isolated from commercials and stores I'm fine. I'm perfectly content with what I have. But you show me a perfect potato peeler and I HAVE GOT TO HAVE IT! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT! The other night I was watching QVC (because commercial time is the perfect amount of time to watch another show, right?) They were demonstrating this pilates machine and I informed Josh that I *really* needed it. I mean, seriously, it would look totally cute in the storage shed next to my Leg Magic. Have no fear. Josh had a tight grip on his wallet, the phone and the laptop. My man knows me well. This longing shall pass. And besides, we've got to save up for bump-its. And that new Kaboom foam cleaner. Have you seen it? It changes colors when it is done cleaning! And we may have to take out a loan for Sylvan....

What is your favorite AS SEEN ON TV product? Please tell me! I will probably want it too. :)

5 comments:

Kim Fox said...

OK -- This (like many of your posts) really hit home. I have a 7 year old son who is OBSESSED with infomercials. He is constantly trying to sell us random products. This past summer we were out running errands and I was digging in my purse for my phone or keys (probably both) and Andrew informed me,"If you had the Buxton over the shoulder organizer, you wouldn't have to hunt for your stuff". He has also tried to get us to buy him a new mattress to keep his "spine in alignment".
BTW - the next time you are in PCB, head to Pier Park. They have a store called "As Seen on TV". It is a really fun store to shop in. There are some many things in there that I didn't know I needed until I saw them. Now I don't think I can live with out them.

patty said...

I don't watch commercials......we TIVO! haha

Amber said...

Just want you to know that Taylor does the sme thing with commercials, he thinks his show(which he calls "veve") he going off and gets all upset then when it comes back he says "upp here it is" :)

Melody said...

Ha! The Sylvan Learning Center was pretty funny. I love it! Great post.

Sarah said...

Aidan loves to repeat the McDonalds commercial where the guy quits his job and says "I quit, boom". Aidan does this at school and church.