Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Maybe Next Time She'll Think...Before She Speaks

Seriously, I am referring to myself in 3rd person now. Too much time on Facebook y'all! But yes, I should have known better than to proudly proclaim that we have conquered the Montrose mice. What, do they read my blog now? No sooner had I posted my last blog than Eli comes to announce to me that there is in fact a dead mouse in the playroom. I told you it is the mecca of all widlife. Eli once spilled an entire package of sunflower seeds in his bedroom so there is no telling what the rodent community has been snacking on in the playroom. (And no, my children are not allowed to eat in the playroom or the bedroom!) Of course Josh was at school in Madison and there was no way I could just leave it there in the middle of the playroom with the kids. Couldn't you just hear me? "Now children do not touch my crystal vases or the dead mouse in the middle of the floor." Hello! So...I did it. I sucked it up. Screaming the entire time I used something to push it into a shoebox and then quadruple bagged it. I did it! All by myself! Screaming the whole time! Sarah kept saying, "Do you need me to do it? I can do it." Where does that child come from? :)

Throughout the day I had a nosebleed and a cold shower and I thought it just couldn't get any better. Never fear, there was more to come. Last night I was up late (with the kitchen light on, so no slugs) and there came our deaf mouse out from behind the entertainment center. It ran toward the speaker on the floor and then....it turned around and ran back! Then it did it again...and again....and again!! I couldn't figure out if the Riddex only affected him in certain areas so he couldn't go any further or if he had gained so much weight through my wonderful hospitality that he couldn't fit past the speaker anymore! After I realized he might spend the rest of the night doing laps I went and got a glue trap and put it in his path. Sure enough...I caught a mouse!!!!! A live catch!!!!!!!!!!! Josh hadn't been asleep long so I didn't want to wake him up. However, I was not so brave with a live mouse as a dead one. I got another box and put it over him. Can you believe that? I also suffered quite a guilt trip and started wondering when I became so sympathetic to mice. This morning I sat straight up in bed and said "There's a mouse under a box in the living room!" Don't you know Josh loves waking up next to me? :)

Could my life be any more exciting? I have prayed to grow in my hospitality and I've prayed to be open to showing kindness to strangers. I personally believe that God knows the motives of our hearts, but clearly these are prayers I need to spell out! People, Lord! I want to be more hospitible and welcoming to PEOPLE!!!

3 comments:

Lori said...

so, so FUNNY!! You are much braver than me!!

Karen said...

LOL!! I don't blame you though. I would have screamed too. (and I would have left the mouse on the playroom floor and taken a road trip somewhere. - this is probably one reason I don't have kids.)

Kim said...

All I'm going to say is that Mark caught a mouse on a glue trap once-then posted a video of it squealing on YouTube. HOLY COW- that caused a MAJOR problem with people saying that we were sadistic and that mice have rights to.