Monday, November 24, 2008

A little peace and quiet

It's so funny how life changes you. Last night the music awards were on and that used to be one of my favorite things. Seeing the performances, what people are wearing, the whole thing. But last night I really could've cared less. One, I am getting old and I don't even know who a lot of the people are anymore. And two, I was so distracted by my excitement that I'm getting a new stove today!! Please, someone tell me, when did stoves become exciting?
Anyway, on the same note, I just realized that Kate and Eli are both napping, Sarah is at a friend's house, my kitchen is clean (like the counters have been bleached down clean), and I've already done a load of laundry. And I...am thrilled by all of this. Again, I'm not sure when a clean kitchen and sleeping children became the goal of my life but I'm enjoying it!

I am so excited right now because I feel like I am coming out of a funk. Do you ever get in those? I don't think I realized how long it would take me to transition from working full time to being at home full time. It is really a big change, but I now feel ready to embrace it full on! I decided that a lot of my funk was trying desperately to live up to standards set too high. Believe me, that is my specialty, setting standards too high. Don't get me wrong, I still believe in high standards, I've just learned that when you have 3 kids under the age of 6 sometimes you gotta let some things go!

Here are some things I've decided for me:

It is more important to me that my kids are compassionate, caring, thoughtful people than that they are overacheiving, robots. So that means that it's okay to make mistakes as long as we grow from them and people are more important than activities or chores. It's important to keep things clean and to be involved in certain activities, but sometimes these things need to take a backseat to rocking the baby time or reading with the big kids time.

I'm the boss. I'm the one in charge of running my house and that means that I have to have a plan and goals just like I did with my job. This isn't a time to be lazy or lose my brain, but rather a time when I need the organizational skills of a CEO and the creativity of Picasso!

I'm the teacher. That is scary! But God has given me the job of teaching my kids everything from how to tie their shoes to why the grass is green to the Ten Commandments. But I know that my biggest lessons are the ones that are observed like bacteria under a microscope. Those are the lessons I teach in how I react under pressure, how I show love to strangers (and the people I know who are sometimes the hardest to love!), how I treat their daddy, and how I spend my time. That's the scary part to me because I know I've set some bad examples. Those are the times I pray a lot for opportunities to teach little ones about grace and forgiveness!

The most important thing I have decided is that I have to be the wife and mom that God made Emily to be, and that is not always the one I want to be!! But while I may admire and learn from other moms, I have to use my strengths and skills instead of living in a pity party about all of my weaknesses and lack of skills. I've also learned that being a home is probably more for me than my kids. There are other people who could teach my kids many of life's lessons. But I don't think any other experience could teach me the lessons of patience, humility, and prayer that I'm still learning.

Finally, I am learning the tools needed for this job. As a social worker I was equipped with pens, paperwork, referrals, phone numbers, and bug spray. (Don't ask). Now, as a mom I pack an arsenal of baby wipes, sippy cups, cheerios, and crayons. In addition to those tangible tools I am working on adding patience, grace, a sense of humor, and prayer, prayer, and more prayer!!! Most importantly I am learning the priceless value of a little peace and quiet!
Currently reading : Becoming a Chief Home Officer By Allie Pleiter

2 comments:

Lori said...

It's so funny that you would say that the AMAs weren't exciting to you anymore. I used to love to watch the Oscars and I don't even pretend to watch anymore - just dont' care!! Isn't that funny how we change in life?

New stove, clean kitchens, and sleeping babies sounds VERY exciting to me. I love to bake and cook. Ben and I are building a house right now and the kitchen is what I am most excited about. It would help if I were a GOOD baker and cook but you know....

Also, I really do understand what you mean about what our kids see us do. Jack is into the mocking us stage where he does whatever we do and it will show you some things about your behavior that need to be changed quickly. I realized when he started saying, "No, no Daddy" that I might not be communicating with my husband in the right way and am trying to work on that!! LOL

Loved reading you thoughts. Very encouraging!

Karen said...

Emily! I'm now officially a blogger! Not sure how this will work - you know I'm much better at talking - but I'll give it a try.