Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cooking by Picture

I had a hallelujah moment tonight. I found a recipe here and I actually had all of the ingredients I needed! I couldn't believe it. And not only did I have all of the ingredients, but the recipe was actually shown step by step with pictures. How awesome is that? I remember when I first got married someone telling me that if you could read you could cook. So, I took that very literally. I did not fix anything unless I had the recipe right in front of me and had every ingredient measured to the perfect proportion. Thankfully, I have grown in my cooking skills and I now have my own recipes that I use a "little of this" and a "lot of that". I don't always need the recipe to spell it out for me. But I gotta say, it was nice to cook by picture tonight. Kind of like painting by numbers. (I stink at that by the way:)

As I was thinking about my excitement over this recipe (really, when did recipes become exciting to me?), I began to ponder some things I've been dealing with. Don't you wish sometimes that life came with a picture book detailing every step you should take? Of course now we live in a time when we do have books for just about everything imaginable. And luckily they have a whole series designated to teaching us dummies how to do everything from turn on a computer to how to speak Swahili. :)

As I've shared, Josh and I are at a waiting point. A seeking point. Not sure is a difficult location to hang out at. I know that on some level we all struggle with the questions "What am I supposed to do?" "Where do I go?" "What is the plan?" Apparently God has not chosen to give us the details of this specific plan right now, but 2 Thessalonians 3:5 says, "Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ." No matter what earthly, geographic location God may lead us to, He is always directing our hearts to grow in love and patience and to know His love and patience. He may not be giving us step by step directions for our life right now, but the picture is clear to me!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Okay - first of all I missed commenting on the last blog so may I just say WHOO-HOO! (for homeschooling and blanket tents - is there anything more fun?)

As for this current blog, thanks for the reminder that even though we may not have step by step instructions we do know what we are supposed to be doing day by day - seeking Him.

On another note - allrecipes.com is one of my favorite websites - recipes for everything and plenty of comments to know if a particular dish gets rave reviews or not.

III said...

You're so darn DEEP, Emily. I gotta think it's that RHS education! ;)

I need to catch up on your blog. This one right here has gotta be a good sermon illustration for sometime soon. And I'm sure I've missed at least a few others.

Emily :) said...

Yes Phillip, it MUST be that RHS education. :) Ha! I feel honored that you would think to use this as a sermon illustration.

Karen, I got an awesome punch recipe from allrecipes.com. Good stuff!