Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Day I Realized I'm a Golden Girl

When I was in college I lived in a dorm full of young, energetic, fun girls. And...we liked to watch The Golden Girls. A lot. I can't explain it. It's pretty funny now to think of all of us fresh young things with time on our hands and the world at our feet gathered around the TV watching The Golden Girls. I think we related to the friendship and fun antics (and a little bit of the drama)  that occurs when a bunch of girls live together, no matter their age. We couldn't get enough.

I still love the Golden Girls. In fact, I share this sentiment-

So, I was watching The Golden Girls the other night (it never gets old), and it hit me....I've become Sophia!

Last week, I had surgery. It was an outpatient procedure, I went in that morning and left a few hours later. I won't lie, I was a little anxious, but I felt pretty prepared. I had done lots of Googling the night before. Which is why I was both anxious and prepared. :)  Anyway, I had worn my comfy clothes and taken off all of my jewelry. The nurse called me back and at the last minute, I decided to take my purse with me. I felt safer with it. I'm lost without it, y'all. 

It seemed like a perfectly logical thing to do until I was walking back into the pre-op area. Then I was all, what the heck do I do with a 40 pound purse? Thankfully, my nurse was super sweet and told me to just put it under my bed with my clothes. And probably cursed me under her breath when she had to push me and the bed and the 40 pound purse to the OR. 

After I changed into my gown and spiffy little hat (which I was super thrilled to realize matched my toenail polish) Josh came back to stay with me. There was some kind of compression thing hooked up to my gown that was making it all puffy. I couldn't stop touching it, it felt so weird. If I ever got to go to the moon I would probably spend the whole time playing with the gadgets on my space suit. Anyway, I mentioned that I had brought my purse and I didn't know why. Josh offered to take it back out to the waiting room. I thought about it. I couldn't part with it. I still don't know why. Maybe I should have asked the anesthesiologist to put a fresh coat of lip gloss on me after she stuck the tube down my throat. 

So, my purse went into surgery with me. When I woke up Josh was there and a male nurse. Of course I got a male nurse. Did I mention this surgery had to do with girl stuff? Right as I came to this nurse lifted my blanket and gown to check out things. Things you don't want stranger men checking out. Whoa! I was not prepared for that! Josh and I both looked at each other like, wha? Very awkward. And I realized that if I could have reached it and it didn't weigh more than I was allowed to lift, I might have knocked that nurse upside the head with my purse just from reflex. And that is something Sophia would do. :)


I can just imagine the dialogue in this picture: 

Dorothy: "Ma, why are you taking your purse into surgery with you?"
Sophia: "In case some male nurse tries to get fresh with me in recovery.  I'm from Sicily, you never go to the hospital without protection."
Photo Courtesy of Google Images


1 comment:

Melody said...

Love it! Love the Golden Girls too.