Saturday, May 29, 2010

Well Ruffle My Feathers....

Sometimes after you become a parent, things change. Like for instance, little people follow you to the bathroom. You may crawl into bed longing for comfort and rest and be greeted with corn in your sheets. And, you may go on dates that include trips to K-Mart for jammies and shoes and go to restaurants with menus you can color on.

Josh's Mom and grandma (aka T and Mammy) had asked if Sarah and Eli could take turns at their houses this weekend getting some one on one time with each of them. Yesterday my kid's must have asked me, "Is it time to go yet?" at least eleventy billion times. Finally it was time to go and Sarah discovered that she could not find a single pair of shoes. Not one. She could find one of her flip flops. Could she wear her tennis shoes? No, she's worn them once before and apparently that is all we get before her foot grows and it's time for a new size. So, I made her wear a pair of sandals that don't fit all that great until we could get to the store.
I thought you needed to see pics of shoe shopping with Sarah.


I picked out some very practical brown sandals. She wasn't having none of that.



My child has always loved the bling. When she was three she had  a pink skirt covered in metallic circles. She called it her "bling, bling" skirt. I finally had to throw it away. She literally wore it until it fell apart. If I was crafty I would have made a pillow case out of it or something. But I'm not. So back to shoe shopping. She got the white, wedge heeled shoes with the bling on top. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to sell some of my organs to pay for her wedding one day. I'm anticipating diamonds on the napkins....

Well, that was how our date started. We left K-Mart and headed to Sonic for some drinks. A sweet tea, Diet Cherry Coke and 3 Sprites. We're so wild. The girl at the window gave Josh like 40 napkins "in case of a mess". I asked Josh, "Do we look like we would make a mess?" Really, I don't know where that girl would get such an idea...

After dropping the big kids off  we ran by the hospital to make a visit. I know, y'all are already green with envy over this date, and it really hasn't started y'all!! After our visit it was time to eat. Woo-hoo!

Last week when Josh was helping his Dad with his bread route he came home telling me about this bird that hangs out at one of the restaurants. His name is Harold. This is what got me. He is such a smart little bird that he waits for people to feed the fish and when they jump up he gets them. He will not get in the water. Why get wet when somebody else can do the work, right? I like the way this bird thinks. So, of course, my first reaction to this was "That bird has got to go on my blog!"

So we headed to Bayou Joe's to meet Harold. And to get a trash burger. That would be the biggest burger you've ever seen with whatever the cook feels like throwing on it. It's all Josh had talked about. I told him I hoped we didn't end up back at the hospital after supper.

Isn't this a fine lookin' establishment? :)  And doesn't my child look happy? I just know that one day I'm going to get a picture where my children actually look like they want to be seen with me. :) Had y'all heard that Mardi Gras beads are the latest fashion trend? You know I like to keep y'all updated on fashion trends....
I felt so at home here. Crayons in a tupperware container and silverware rolled in washcloths.
The infamous trash burger. This was the first time EVER in almost 13 years of eating with Josh that he couldn't eat it all. Do you want to know what is on this thing? That would be chili, onions, pickles, mushrooms, a few fries and some onion rings. Hurt my tummy just to look at it.
This was our view.  I could have sat there all night. Except I had a restless 2 year old with me who got totally bored with the crayons. Oh well. It was a nice thought.
We decided to do a mini photo shoot while Daddy waited for the ticket...

I never was able to get a pic of Harold. :(  He showed up while we were eating, but he was hanging out at another couple's table and I do have boundaries with just how obnoxious I am with the picture taking. You can see a pic of him though by clicking on the Bayou Joe's link above.


After supper we headed to the store to get a baby shower gift. See, I told you some things change after kids. :) We also picked up a new Little People's set for Kate. It was what I had bribed her with during the ER trauma last week and I was very late in delivering. It was too late after we left the ER that night and then I took off to Georgia in a rush. So, it was due.

Overall, it was a very fun date night. Wored us slap out....

1 comment:

Melody said...

You crack me up! Love the date night...sounds like ours too many times. And my hubs would so dig the hole in the wall hamburger joint! Those are the best. Looks like Florida life is doing you good my friend!