Sunday, May 5, 2013

Eli the Great Turns 8!


Today is special, today is great;
today Joshua Eli turns 8!

He is sweet, he is kind;
since kindergarten he's only made straight A's because he has a great mind.

Legos, sharks, drawing and ball,
FSU and bikes; he loves them all.

Gentle and sensitive, tough and fast;
a smile and a heart that are made to last.

Competitive and hard-working, analytic and fun;
you love to run and run and run.

You're no longer a baby, you're a big kid now;
when I think of you all I think is "Wow!"

Today you are eight,
and everyday you are GREAT!! 

Photo courtesy of Photography by Jenny Johnson


Joshua Eli, there are no words for how proud you make me and your Daddy. From the moment you entered this world on 5/5/05 (my favorite number, btw), you've been a peaceful, sweet bringer of joy. I didn't know what it would be like to add another member to our family of 3; your sister was a little used to being the center of attention. :) But, like the rest of us, she adored you and you brought out the little Mama in her. You also bonded instantly with your Daddy. One of my most favorite memories in life is waking up from a nap not too long after you were born and seeing him with you in his arms. He had changed your clothes and made sure you had on a onesie with a sports theme. He has doted on you ever since and you are two peas in a pod. I am so thankful that you love your Daddy the way you do. You are going to be such a great man because you have his influence, and I will always feel close to your Daddy when I'm with you. Kate has given you the chance to be a big brother and you have excelled at that just like you do with everything. I know she drives you crazy sometimes, but trust me, she thinks the world of you. :)

You are an amazing little boy and I have watched you grow more this last year than any before. You became a follower of Jesus and overcame your fear of being baptized to be obedient to Him. You also have come such a long way in your fear of bad weather, and I am so proud of that because I know that it is no easy task overcoming fears, even for grown ups. 

You are SO smart and ask lots of questions that not only am I not smart enough to answer, I'm not even smart enough to ask. You keep me on my toes. Thank goodness for your Daddy and Google!! You are a thinker and an analyzer and a perfectionist. I'm afraid you got that very honestly. As I watch you beat yourself up over missing a ball or getting a 97 instead of a 100, I feel the need to apologize for the genes you inherited honestly from your Dad and I. And sometimes I want to cry with you. Because it's a personality trait that just stinks sometimes. But, I know God is going to use that drive that you have in a mighty way. Whatever you do, you do it all out! You do it with passion and determination and a desire to do it the best.

Sometimes, you are so smart and gentle and kind that it is easy to forget you are a little boy. Until I see the dirt on your neck and the holes in your jeans and step on Legos. And then I remember. :) And I thank God for giving me such a special little boy and letting me have a front row seat to watch as He grows a man of God right before my eyes. And maybe an FSU baseball player. :)

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him"
                                                             Colossians 3:17

Photo courtesy of Photography by Jenny Johnson

No comments: