Friday, November 23, 2012

For the Fun of It

Back around Halloween I had an epiphany of sorts. I was stressing about costumes, and pumpkin patches and pictures and treats. And all of a sudden it dawned on me-this is supposed to be fun. And so, I decided we would have fun. My kids were going to pick their own costumes and we were just going to have fun. The night of Halloween they got ready and were waiting on Josh and I to get ready. I asked for one pic of them together. They obliged.
Then, they wanted to ride their scooters and stuff. I came so close to saying, "NO! You need to sit on the couch so you don't mess up your costume!", but then I remembered. This is supposed to be fun. So, they rode scooters with capes flying and tutus twirling.



Well, I tried to hang on to my mantra for Thanksgiving. This being my first year working full-time in a while, I knew I was going to have to let some expectations go. I've decided I either need more hours in the day or more energy. Or a maid. Whatever. So, anyway, I did my best stay calm, cool and collected. :)

Wednesday night we loaded up the kids, picked up my mom and went to have supper at Applebee's and catch "Wreck-It Ralph". It's a super cute movie and we had lots of laughs. 

I cooked almost all of the food I was taking for Thanksgiving on Wednesday so that made Thursday much more relaxed. We joined Josh's family at his sister's house. She has lived in Italy the last 3 years and this was our first Thanksgiving with her and her husband since they got married. She played hostess with the mostest to 20 people and rocked it. Just to prove that I have really embraced this whole "just for fun" thing you have to see the only pics I got on Thanksgiving.  I've always been one of those girls who thinks we all need matching clothes and a full family photo shoot on holidays. But, my experience has been, that's not really fun for anyone. :)  This is what I got this year....

Aren't they fabulous? I think I'll use them for our Christmas cards. Oh, who am I kidding, we all know I'll forget to order Christmas cards.....

I hope that you all had a fabulously fun Thanksgiving and were reminded of the many blessings in your life!

P.S. I've gone about 8 months without eating sweets and these last two days I've caved. I got up at 5:00 this morning to go shopping and I am still pinging. Can we say sugar rush???????

No comments: