Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Whatnot Wednesday: It's a New Year

It's a new year and we've had two crazy weeks of break. Here is so much randomness it will make your head spin.

* Tonight when I picked Kate up from the nursery our sweet nursery lady told me that Kate had been entertaining them with stories about frogs and ghosts wrapped in toilet paper. I couldn't bring myself to tell her that Josh let our kids watch Ghostbusters and that it is one of their favorite movies. Yes, I do know it is very inappropriate for children. Yes, leave it to my children to decide it is their favorite movie. Also leave it to my four year old to tell dramatic stories at church about the ghost she's been seeing wrapped in toilet paper. Fabulous. If you are wondering about the frog, I have to tell you about a new addition to our family. Josh's uncle decided it would be great to get Eli a frog for Christmas. But this is not just any frog....
I don't know if you can see him very good. This isn't my pic so I couldn't zoom in on it, but that is in fact, a taxedermied frog. For real. He creeps me out. The other night I was vacuuming the girl's room and as I bent down to get under the bed THE FROG WAS UNDER THERE STARING AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I did what any good Mom would do. I screamed and decided the carpet was clean enough under there.

* Speaking of floor care, I got a Shark steam mop for Christmas and I am in love. It's changed my life. I feel like I could lay down on my kitchen floor and take a nap. Josh got me a mop and I got him a drill and we were excited. We are officially old.

* We also got new phones. We had free phone upgrades, and let me tell you, free was totally in our Christmas budget. :)  I feel like I may finally be in 2005 electronically and I have managed to not post  anything scandalous or embarrassing on Facebook by accident. I have, however, realized that I am just not ready for a touchscreen. Thankfully mine has a keyboard too, but Josh's is only a touchscreen and today he wanted me to google some directions.  15 minutes into the process I accidentally hit the button for voice commands and got really excited. I was trying to get directions for Emerald Coast Fellowship and somehow his phone understood me to be saying "E Nelly".  So much for all of my public speaking and communication classes.....

* Last week my sister and niece and nephew came down for a quick visit. We had so much fun. We had lunch at the park, hung out at my Mom's and then everybody came to our house to watch the FSU game and eat. Okay, Josh and Philip and Eli watched the game. My Mom played with the kids and me and Jenny ate. :) She got some super cute pics of the kids at the park, especially of Kate.

                                                  I just love how she is holding her pigtails!
In this pic she is winking and doing the special arm trick. In case  you are not familiar with the secret arm trick, Jenny and I learned a while back that your arm does not look as big in pics if you put your hand on your hip. Brilliant, right?
In this pic you can see that my sister totally looks like Rockstar Mom and I look like sleep deprived Soccer Mom. Except my kids don't play soccer. But Jenny is totally a Rockstar Mom! 

* On our Christmas break the OnDemand movie choices have been so bad that we have watched two of the Jurassic Park movies. (We did not allow the kids to watch these. Only ghosts, no dinosaurs.) We started watching the preview for the third one and it started talking about new discoveries and I thought, 'Yeah right. What else can they discover?' And then, they said they talked y'all!! I knew I had been homebound with 3 youngins when I got ridiculously excited about that development. I was disappointed though that they did not sing the Barney song. And I am sorry if I ruined that movie for anybody else who is still getting caught up on movies from 2001. Please forgive me. 

* Today I had a very unique experience. If you read this blog you saw that my band director from high school passed away. Today was his funeral and after writing that blog and thinking about just how great his influence was in my life I wanted to be there. It was a great service and I got to see several classmates. We also took an extended lunch with our friends Kim and Mark who came into town for the service. It was so fun to catch up with them! But let me tell you what happened. As the preacher was reading the obituary he said he was going to share some of the comments that had been made by Mr. D's "children" (his band kids). He said he was going to read excerpts. I knew someone had shared my blog on his FB page, but I knew it was too long (and not very formal) so I didn't figure it was included in that. He read an awesome poem that someone had written. And then, he started reading my blog! In public! In a church! At a funeral! He never said my name, but I knew several of the people sitting around me had read it and I've never felt such panic. I don't know why but it just freaks me out to know people are reading stuff I've written. Seriously y'all, I really don't believe that people read what I write. But to have to listen to it read out loud! Not only that, but y'all know how I write. It's not exactly formal, funeral appropriate literature. I talked about my Dad wanting to beat him up and hormones and make-up for crying out loud! Josh said later that it would have only been better read in my voice. I asked him, "You think it sounded strange for my words to be coming out of a 60 year old man?" Ha! I also had a former teacher tell me that she had sent the blog to all of the teachers at my high school. Holy cow. Some very valuable lessons were learned through all of this. 1. Don't blog about something you wouldn't want read over someone at their funeral. 2. Proofread your blog like all of your former English teachers will be reading it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* BTW, there were also comments from that blog that were shared. I'll tell you, they really touched me. I've just been blown away by the response to that blog. Last time I checked there have been 520 views of that page. I can ASSURE you that has nothing to do with my writing and everything to do with Mr. D and the influence he had. Seeing the impact he made on so many lives really makes me want to have that kind of impact on just one person in my life. It also really challenges me to tell people how much I value them and how they've influenced me while they are still here.  

* How is your new year going? Any resolutions? Seen any good movies lately? :)

No comments: