Monday, January 23, 2012

Burn, Baby, Burn

Some of you may remember this post when I talked about a diet I was starting for health reasons. Well, I relapsed and let's just say that Christmas left me begging for my life. Or a Motrin. Or 90. So, I'm back on the wagon and FOR GOOD. I learned my lesson. With that said, last time I only gave up dairy, sweets and caffeine. Only. :)  This time, I'm giving up red meat and I'm *trying* to give up wheat, too. I wasn't sure how this would go over with my hubby whose picture you will find if you look up "carnivore" in the dictionary. But let me tell you, he has totally jumped on board with this diet. You know I've wallowed in pain and been totally useless (and maybe a bit moody) when Josh is googling this diet and going to the grocery store for me. For me the only way I can stick with it is 1. Trail mix. Raisins suddenly taste like cheesecake when you give up sweets. 2. Celery with peanut butter. It's my new crack. 3. Lots of fruits and veggies that are easy for me to grab and go.  Well, apparently Josh's way of coping with this diet was a turkey. A 23 pound turkey y'all!!!!

*Let me just stop here and tell you that this is two times the size of the turkey we fried when we spent Thanksgiving  with my sister and FED 9 people!!!!*

So anyway, I really like turkey and apparently Josh does, too. :)  I stayed home from church yesterday feeling like snot  not feeling so great and Josh asked if I would check on the turkey and remove some of the foil so it could cook on top. Ok. I could do that. Surely I could drag myself off the couch for 5 minutes. Well, let me tell you.....I did as I was asked to do. But it turns out the pan the turkey was on wasn't quite big enough for it. The juices started overflowing and before I knew it, the entire kitchen and dining room were full of smoke. I opened the kitchen window and headed back to the couch. If I was not in my first day of caffeine withdrawal I probably would have come up with a way to fix the problem, but I was in fact on day one of caffeine withdrawal and I was perfectly content to sit in a smoke filled house as long as I could sit. Or lay. 

About 30 minutes later Kate was the first one to come in the door. She was barefoot. "Where are your shoes?" I asked. She answered, "Daddy has them. My feet were hot."  Oh. Well that makes sense. Don't we all take our shoes off at church if our feet get hot????? She then made her way to the kitchen where she proceeded to say, "HOLY SMOKE!" About that time the rest of the gang came in and started waving their arms and asking what was going on. Eli started yelling, "STOP, DROP AND ROLL!!!!" Josh started opening more windows. And doors. That led to Kate walking outside and announcing that she saw Bigfoot over at the church. Then Eli suggested getting out the peanut butter to trap him. And that made me want some more celery with peanut butter. But first we needed to eat some turkey. :)

Photo courtesy of Kansas Fire Equipment Co., Inc.
Gift idea for the Fidlers-family packs of fire extinguishers and an extra set for guests.....

3 comments:

Kristy said...

LOL! You are too funny. Best wishes with the withdrawl. I need to do that too but I'm not 'there' yet.

Karen said...

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!

Lori said...

You are my hero! WOW! I tagged you in my last post but don't feel like you have to participate :)