Saturday, September 15, 2012

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Good Saturday morning! I just wanted to pop in and brag for a minute. :) This morning marked a landmark day in our home. I made the perfect pancake! Eleven years of marriage and 3 kids later, I finally did it. You can't really appreciate this unless you understand how pitiful my pancake making skills have been in the past. Several years ago, two different people gifted me with "The Perfect Pancake Maker" (remember those?), and I STILL could not make the perfect pancake. I could barely make an edible one. I finally found a mix that you just add water to, and I had some success with it. But, now I have made pancakes from scratch AND successfully flipped them without leaving half the pancake on the spatula.

Sarah witnessed it this morning and went shouting into the living room, "Mommy made the perfect pancake!" The beauty of your kids experiencing your failures with you is that they are as equally excited in your moments of achievement. :) 

The pancakes that I made were these, Blender Oatmeal Pancakes. No flour, y'all. I was so thrilled to discover this recipe as I cannot have white flour and I had sadly accepted the fact I would never eat pancakes again. And I love pancakes. Even my messy, half of them uncooked on the spatula kind. I had some reservations about these. It had to be too good to be true, right? WRONG! They really are good! My kids each ate 3 a piece this morning!  I actually  made these for the first time a few weeks ago and Sarah ate two and eagerly asked for another. Then, I started swelling with pride and naming off the things these pancakes were made with and when she heard "oatmeal" she suddenly couldn't stomach another. :)  I shared this with a friend who I had gotten the recipe from and she joked that at their house it's "don't ask, don't tell". That cracked me up. It is pretty funny how no matter how good something is, we balk if we find out it includes something like oats or greek yogurt. 

Speaking of greek yogurt, I used the substitution she suggests for the buttermilk. I used a cup of plain greek yogurt and 3/4 cups of water. I also used 2 Tbs. of honey instead of sugar and I cooked the pancakes in coconut oil. That is my newest favorite thing. I've started using it to replace butter when cooking sweet things like pancakes or muffins. I served the pancakes with real maple syrup, and OH.MY.GOODNESS, old pancake syrup will never work again. I was so thrilled to learn that maple syrup, while loaded with sugar, is actually much better for you than pancake syrup. Hallelujah! It's a bit pricey, but that ensures that pancake eating is a special treat around here, and that I don't serve them 3 meals a day. :)

When we have bananas around, I also love to make these, Banana Pancakes. Yum!! I have recently discovered 100 Days of Real Food and it has changed my life! She has so many great, easy recipes and lots of fun, healthy ideas for school lunches. 


What is your favorite weekend treat?

3 comments:

III said...

Nice job!

I like to make sausage biscuits on Saturday mornings. Never been a pancake/waffle person.

PY said...

Recipe please!! I have yet to perfect my pancake making, but I am happy to report that after 8 years of marriage, we are no longer eating "bloody" chicken. http://pocketoffulllife.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/roasted-chicken-thighs-with-root-vegetables/

I agree with the "don't ask, don't tell" rule!

sarah said...

I too cannot make pancakes. Ed is the designated pancake maker around our house. He even made up batter for me is I couldn't mess up. I messed up. We switched to real maple syrup a couple years ago. Best money ever spent on a food item.