Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Whatnot Wednesday

* We survived Halloween. All 8 weeks of it. Seriously, I don't remember Halloween ever being so involved. The good news this year was that all of my kids picked super easy, super cheap things they wanted to be. A cat, a Seminole, and Rapunzel. And they were pretty cute, if I do say so myself.
I really need to fix my F on my pumpkin, but I figure, why bother? I should probably wait until Kate is 10.

* Speaking of Kate, she informed us last night that she has a boyfriend. And that they were moved to different tables. That sounded like trouble to me, but her teacher assured me they moved all the kids around. Thank goodness! I don't know what to do with this news. Sarah has NO interest in boys and I actually found something she had written kind of like a journal entry where she talked about one of her friends and she said, "I don't know what's wrong with her. I think she likes boys."  Yeah, Sarah, what is up with that????

* I think I've changed my mind about the colors for our family pictures. I actually got out of bed at 12:30 last night to Google sweaters and dresses and shoes. For real. This is getting out of hand. I'm not sure why I'm obsessing over this so much. Have I mentioned that I'm not even sure if we have a time between now and Christmas that we could have them made? That may be God's way of telling me to GET OVER COLOR SCHEMES FOR PICTURES. SLEEP.  Ya think?

* Tonight I had a really neat activity for church to teach the 10 Commandments. I had cut up slips of paper with all of the commandments and put them in envelopes. I left one commandment out of each envelope and attached a piece of candy to it.  The kids had to glue the commandments in order and guess which one they were missing. It kind of turned into chaos and craziness. Especially when I realized I left the envelopes with the slips of paper at my house. That's right, I put the envelopes I had prepared back in the box and took the empty envelopes to church!!! I had to get someone to sit with the kids while I ran to my house. I decided then and there that is why God made me a preacher's wife. So I will always live in the parking lot of the church to be able to run back and get stuff I forget. 

* Kate and I had a great talk about commandments while I was preparing. I told her they were rules. Like that we shouldn't steal. She said, "Or be still. Or eat candy. And go to bed."  Gotta love the commandments according to Kate. :)

* When I got home tonight "My Best Friend's Wedding" was on. I love that movie, but it still breaks my heart. It also always makes me long for a night of dining accompanied by our table breaking out in "I Say a Little Prayer For You".   I remember my friend Pao had the soundtrack for that movie and we spent many a day in her car belting it out.

* Two of my guys from theater class needed a ride home after practice today. One of them could not find his shoes. We thought some of the other kids took them so we went to find them, but they didn't have them. And the school was locked by this point. I asked him if he had any other shoes. He said the only other pair he had were in his locker. In the locked gym. We ended up having to go back to the elementary school and the two guys somehow managed to find a way in (I don't want to know how.)  Did I mention this guy is in 9th grade? It gives me no hope for my future. I was really hoping that by the time my kids are that age I will not spend 95% of my life looking for shoes. Seems like there is no such hope....

* We are planning go to our high school's homecoming game this weekend. We haven't been to one since we graduated. I'm wondering how old it will make us feel.

What has your week looked like? Do you have any "big" plans for the weekend?

3 comments:

Lauran said...

Glad y'all had a Happy Halloween! Saw this pin today and thought of you and your late night googling self...
http://pinterest.com/pin/436896401/

:)

Melody said...

How fun....love the classic Halloween front porch pic. And my Sophie and your Kate sound too much alike to me. Sophie has a boyfriend and I'm not sure how to handle that. She doesn't seem to care that nobody else her age is into boys. She has a mind of her own.

Lori said...

Family picture themes keep me up nights too. I wish I could tell you how to get over it, but I don't know. I do know that I'm thinking blues and greens this year:)

We survived Halloween too and I wasn't sure for a few days there. Every time I think about the preschool party we hosted, though, it makes me smile. Because I've done my party this year. So, I get to be the mom that buys cupcakes for the rest of them:)